Sunday, November 3, 2013

Halloween dinner night out - Chicago Rib House, Gurney Plaza, Penang

Last Thursday night it was the festival of Halloween, me and my friend happen to be at Penang for a few days trip, allow me to sum up out trip in short. We went for the “Kek Lok Si” temple and had a walk around that place, had some of the famous “ice-kacang” there, we went for a place where we can enjoy the nature, the Penang Botanic Gardens, you can see some monkeys there too and yes there are not caged so do not eat while walking as that will make them snatch food from you, like seriously. Well that’s some interesting places we went at Penang. After all day of traveling from one place of interest to another in Penang, it is already night, I stumbled upon a western restaurant, the name of the restaurant is “CHICAGO RIB HOUSE” and I decided to give it a try simply because it’s Halloween and the decoration in the restaurant is in Halloween theme so why not right?

So what is about this restaurant? I have done a quick search about this restaurant via their twitter website:

“CHICAGO RIB HOUSE – Not limited to great ribs and steaks, our products also extends to fresh oven baked pizzas, juicy burgers, crispy salads and mouthwatering desserts!”

I grabbed their menu and take a glance of what food they had to offer, for main course they offers pork rib, steaks, burgers and sandwiches, pasta or pizza, chicken as well as seafood. As usual for a western restaurant, they offer starters, desserts, soup and salads, alcoholic and mock tails beverages. As for me I personally like to try some pork related food and maybe some sandwiches, no specific reason felt that I should just going to start with these dishes as a first timer to this restaurant.

After some while of deciding which type of serving style of pork rib, I have interest in trying the “Beer battered fried pork chop” for RM29.90 the description writer there is

“*Tantalizing pork chop fried with our signature beer batter and served with country gravy

All main courses are served with your preferred choice of two side orders”, oh cool, I can choose two of the side dishes to accompany this main course, and the selection they offers are:

i.) Beer battered French fries
ii.) Coleslaw
iii.) Fragrant rice
iv.) Baked potato
v.) Mashed potatoes
vi.) Corn on the cob
vii.) Fresh vegetables

I have picked Fresh vegetables and Baked potatoes as my preferred side orders, well at that moment I like to have vegetable with pork meat for the night.

After a few minutes my food is here 



The portion of the pork was huge as you can see, I begun by slicing my first pork and it was very crispy and easy to slice it off, alright here is the part I like the most, the smell is very tempting, maybe after a long day of traveling but I am sure it made me to eat it desperately, but after the first bite and I thought the pork was just ok because the meat is not as soft as expected, some part is quite chewy, kind of a letdown for me. As for one of the side order the fresh vegetable, it is not hard to bite, they just boiled it with hot water and it is a little bit tasteless to be honest; the baked potatoes in the other hand seems promising because it has salad sauce and onion as dressing. It is ok for me, not too hard or soft for biting, its potato skin can be peel off easily the overall is ok for the potato just that I do not prefer to eat these type of potato skin cooking method.
After my meal I also ordered a sandwich, a “Chicago Cheesy Sandwich” for RM 26.90 as its description:
“Grilled Chicken Breast topped with melted cheddar cheese and grilled pineapple ring on a toasted burger bun”

This is the photo of the sandwich



As you can see, the chicken meat is quite thick (around an inch) and on top of that got a huge ham, there are two pineapple rings, it is shaped like an onion ring just that it is a pineapple ones; the french fries are fried with oat as side dishes. Alright, for sandwich there are several ways of eating it as far as I know, you can either slice it into small pieces, fork it and dip it in the cheddar cheese and enjoy, for me this time I am going to take out the top bread for the moment for me to place the melted cheddar cheese in the inside part and cover it back only slice and eat it. The taste was actually not heavy but luckily with the company of ham and the melted cheddar cheese, it became tastier. The french fries are good, I mean it is fried with the oat and the smell is nice but the taste had over taken by the sandwich.

So that is what I had tried on my Halloween night, the food there was ok, oh and the environment of the restaurant is all about western culture, you can notice it by the design (notice there is a big spider web on top).



Anyway I have included a Google map below for you all who are interested to try out this restaurant.


No comments:

Post a Comment