Thursday, April 3, 2014

Restaurant De Hunan - spicy Hunan cuisine you will remember!

Hey everyone how are you all been doing with your week? This week my friend and I decided to go for spicy food from Hunan also known as Xiang cuisine (湘菜), the shop we are about to enter is 湖南湘菜馆 (Hunan from the Xiang cuisine), Xiang river is one of the region of Hunan, besides this region there are others such as Dongting Lake and western Hunan. Hunan cuisine is one of the Eight great traditions of Chinese cuisine, well known of its spicy hot flavor with cooking style of frying, smoking and pot-roasting. Behold what’s coming, we will be opening our mouth frequently due to the heat and spice and we cannot help but to continue to eat!


Enter the restaurant and it was just like any normal above average Chinese restaurant. It was quite empty but that was around 7.00PM to 7.30PM if I remember it correctly, so it is normal to have less customer at this time.


We ordered the following dishes:
  • 平锅北京包菜 (RM 30/ RM22/ RM15) – Stir Fried “Beijing” Cabbage
  • 农家小炒肉 (RM30/ RM25/ RM18) – “Hunan” Farmer Style Fried Pork
  • 湖南石锅鸡 (RMRM50 / RM40/ RM30) – Chef Special Fried Chicken On Sizzling Stone Plate

As you can see there are 3 prices those are for the size, large, medium and small respectively. We order all 3 of the dishes in small sizes. After we ordered, I looked around and I saw there is a picture of three girls with their traditional cloths and Chinese instruments, then I noticed besides the photo frame there are these decorations, yes chilies decorations.


Is like telling you to brace yourself for this spicy hot cuisine

It is like telling customers that this is the place where you will experience lots of chili peppers, garlic and shallots, just search some basic information about Hunan cuisine, Hunan cuisine is best known for dry hot or purely hot. Their dishes will tend to be oilier compared to also one of the famous spicy food genre, the Sichuan cuisine in which often being discussed about, most noticeably their ‘mala’ which literally mean hot and numbing.


So after our long wait our rice have been served, I purposely took the photo of the rice is because I was attracted by their flat rice bowl instead of the inner curve side. Nothing special here, they have their own custom tissue packaging. The dishes is served after the rice is placed after 10 minutes:


Seriously this is extremely hot

Chef Special Fried Chicken on Sizzling Stone Plate, despite its hot red color gravy and the heat from sizzling stone that makes the popping bubble dance, I am pretty sure I will be needing to drink a lot of Chinese tea to cool down my body, it’s like a volcano down there. I tried the gravy part for start, it is really spicy, and you might need to add some rice to neutral down the heat. The chicken is fine, the meat when bite will not feel like it had been dipped in the gravy for a long time and become lose in tender, it was nice and tight to bite, I like it. The aroma from the scallion matches the gravy spice is the ultimate combination for a good guilty pleasure moment, my lips are beginning to feel the effect of too much spice, my friend said my lips is getting red and a little swollen, well in a good way that is. You guys should try it.



Very nice pork aroma with cabbage

Next thing up it will be the Stir Fried “Beijing” Cabbage, the is one of their customer preferable dishes, I can see why after my first attempt, the reason it is so nice in taste is because the taste of the pork and the pork’s oil mixed with the freshness of the cabbage and the best thing is the taste will stay there for a while after you swallow. I should have try this dish first because the last dish had influenced my taste bud with its hot spice. I guessed they cook the pork and the cabbage separately then fry it together to let the essence mix in harmony under the wok, thumb ups for the chef.



The last one is the “Hunan” Farmer Style Fried Pork, this is just normal for us if compare to the other 2 dishes I just mentioned, the pork was not that strong in taste in this dish, even we stir a little bit to let the pork oil spread evenly, this dish has below average level of spiciness, the green color ingredient is the green chilies by the way. This is my first time to try this restaurant, my friend on the other hand is not, and he commented that this dish is nicer when he tried last time, so bad luck for me I guess.

So that is, I was impress with this restaurant’s cooking style, it was my first experience to taste such spicy Hunan cuisine beside of Sichuan cuisine, when we are almost done with our dinner, the restaurant is beginning to fill with crowd of people, look like a good place to have good food to me, so you guys should give it a try.

Address
No. 2, Jalan Kuchai Maju 6,
Off Jalan Kuchai Lama,
58200 Kuala Lumpur.

Tel: +603-7987 9318



No comments:

Post a Comment